Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:27:37 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@flat.berklix.net>
To:        "Bagus" <bagus@cox.net>
Cc:        Tony Frank <tfrank@optushome.com.au>
Subject:   Re: slow login, app launching, etc

> inspired me to look at my resolve.conf one more time and try using names
> instead of ip numbers.

Sorry, not quite clear here, but numbers must come from somewhere,
if not resolv.conf, then /etc/hosts or local named + maybe via root
servers whose numeric addresses are themselves compiled into local
named.  List freebsd-net@freebsd.org might be the ideal place to
State:
	- Is named running locally ?
	- Has /etc/resolv.conf a first entry of localhost ( = 127.0.0.1 ) ?
Ask if this strategy might cause:
	- un-necessary load to internet root name servers ?
	- extra indirection on local lookups.
(but this list will probably do this time, as the thread's running :-)

-
Julian Stacey.  Unix,C,Net & Sys. Eng. Consultant, Munich.  http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii, Html dumped as Spam.  Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.