Date:      Sat, 13 Jun 1998 14:22:58 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A contest about to start...

#define quoting(Jordan K. Hubbard)
// To: freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG

Is this really a multimedia subject ?   :)

// At http://www.freebsd.org/~xcontest you will find the "alpha version"
// of a page for a contest which I'll soon be launching, the goal of which
// being to get some better canned desktop profiles to ship with future
// versions of FreeBSD.

Cool !!!

Could I suggest something to make our standard desktop somewhat better
than the others ?

I think that a higher attetion could be given to self configurable
desktops.  A desktop menu with millions of utilities you will never
use is mostly annoying than useful.  A good standard desktop would
know which utilities are installed before putting then in menus.
AFAIK, fvwm* can do this with preprocessor configurable files,
though I've never bothered messing with them.

Also, judges must be careful not to chose something too much heavy
for medium sized workstations.  It's good to have a PII/300 during
the judgment, since you may need to install and resintall packages
lots of times, but the average user may not have even a P/200 with
32M RAM.  It's good to have a super-deuper WM around, but if my CPU
would be affected, I would stay with twm.  That's why I still use
netscape3.  :)

Finally, the big winner could also not be just one person, but a
group.  The HDTV contest showed this to us.  The final approved
standard was not one suggested by any of the contestants, but a
mix from almost every competitor.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis            M.Sc. Student
jonny@jonny.eng.br                 Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro