Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2014 10:10:41 -0800
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        Albert Shih <Albert.Shih@obspm.fr>
Cc:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: zfs send/recv with lz4

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 8:55 AM, Albert Shih <Albert.Shih@obspm.fr> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've two servers with ZFS, the first (who got the data actually) don't ha=
ve
> lz4 enable (FreeBSD 9.0 now FreeBSD 9.1) and the new one is under
> FreeBSD-10.
>
> So I would like to enable lz4 for the new server. The problem is I would
> like to have (for the futur) the possibility to make zfs send/recv from t=
he
> old one (still in production) on the new one. So I should at the beginnin=
> do the zfs send/recv. But how can I say the recv got lz4 ?
>
> If I create a new zfs partition with lz4 activated I need to se rsync and
> for that I can't in the futur use zfs send/recv (but maybe I'm wrong abou=
> that).

=E2=80=8B

Unless you are using -R for a replication stream, then the properties of
the sending dataset are not part of the send stream, and the properties of
the receiving dataset take effect.

IOW, create the dataset on the receiving system, set the properties you
want (like lz4 compression).  Then send the stream from the other box into
that filesystem.

Also, if you set the properties in the parent dataset on the receiving
side, then they'll be inherited automatically in the newly created dataset
via the recv process.

Works without issues here.  Have lzjb set on the sending side, and lz4 on
the receiving side.  No dedupe on the sender, dedupe on the receiver.

--=20
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com