Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:37:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        des@des.no
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is MTX_CONTESTED evil?

In message: <xzpekrgf103.fsf@dwp.des.no>
            des@des.no (Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav) writes:
: "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org> writes:
: > Well, that certainly explains the blitz of crashes I had to fix
: > recently!  Since INVARIANTS and WITNESS are on by default, it would=

: > make sense to make ADAPTIVE_MUTEX default to catch more bugs.
: =

: Making ADAPTIVE_MUTEXES default will not catch more bugs, it will jus=
: piss off users.

I think that if we don't fix the class of bugs that AM points out,
we'll ruin our reputation as a quality system in the long run.  Maybe
they are so pervasive that we don't want to turn it on by default just
yet, but there will come a time we turn it on, just like we turned on
WITNESS and INVARIANTS to get better coverage on our testing.

Warner