Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 01:01:00 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        "Donald R. Tyson" <tyson@alumni.stanford.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Sun, Sep 05, 1999 at 10:24:49AM -0400, Donald R. Tyson wrote:

> (Copy for the list)
> To: Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
> cc: freebsd-question@freebsd.org
> Subject: [UPDATE] Re: No IDE CD-ROM support in recompiled kernel
> Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 09:21:14 -0400
> From: "Donald R. Tyson" <tyson@alumni.stanford.org>
>
> Mark --
>
> Your original suggestion (leave controller wcd1 enabled) was
> right.  I thought I had done so, but in fact I had only left the
> disk (wd1) enabled, not the controller.
>
> Here are the relevant lines from the HOMEBASE configuration file:
>
> controller	wdc0	at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
> disk		wd0	at wdc0 drive 0
> disk		wd1	at wdc0 drive 1
>
> controller	wdc1	at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
> disk		wd2	at wdc1 drive 0
> #disk		wd3	at wdc1 drive 1
>
> options		ATAPI		#Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
> options		ATAPI_STATIC	#Don't do it as an LKM
> device		wcd0		#IDE CD-ROM
>

> Here are the relevant lines from dmesg:
>
> wdc0: unit 1 (atapi): <CRD-8160B/1.04>, removable, accel, dma, iordis
> wcd0: 2734KB/sec, 128KB cache, audio play, 255 volume levels, ejectable tray
> wcd0: 120mm data disc loaded, unlocked, lock protected
> wdc1 not found at 0x170

Hmm, I'm a little bit confused here. In another message you posted
your HOMEBASE config file with wdc1 commented out.

The dmesg output shows your CD on wdc0, am I right in assuming it
is the slave to you HD on the first IDE channel? If so then wdc1
doesn't matter

The only thing I spotted that could be causing a problem is wd1.
In the HOMEBASE config file stuff you included above wd1 is included,
whereas in your other message it is commented out:

options         "CMD640"        # work around CMD640 chip deficiency
controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
#disk           wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

wd1 is the slave disk on the primary controller. wcd0 is the CD on
the primary controller. Maybe you need wd1 probed (i.e. not commented
out in your config file) in order for FreeBSD to find the CD.

I know this sounds wierd, but there are plenty of threads in
-questions about IDE CD-ROMs not being probed correctly. You must
bear in mind that, as a "standard", IDE is pretty loose.

Having said all that, the fact that GENERIC finds your CD points
to your custom kernel. Try making HOMEBASE from GENERIC with
everything you don't need commented out but leave the wdc,  wcd
and wd stuff as per GENERIC.

Let me know how you get on.