Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 07:39:15 -0400
From:      "Allen Smith" <easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld fails on 2-2-stable system: pccard/cardinfo.h not found

Hi. I got around the pccard problem via the method I mentioned (namely
removing pccard from the list of SUBDIRS), but now I can't do an
installworld - after going into single-user mode and initiating it,
the mtree command fails with a "panic: fdesc attr" and the system
reboots. I find this more than a bit disturbing. Is it possible that
this has to do with the fdesc filesystem I've got union-mounted over
my /dev directory?

	Thanks,

	-Allen

P.S. Sorry about the size of the file I sent out earlier - I didn't
quite realize how big it was even after my trimming... While I've
copied the significant stuff down below since this is also now going
to hackers, I have trimmed it significantly.

On May 13,  6:00am, Allen Smith (possibly) wrote:
> Hi. I'm having trouble doing a make buildworld on a 2-2-stable
> system, and the problem may be with cvsup. The system in question
> is a 2-2-980404-SNAP system from Atipa, updated for the first time
> (after a backup, of course) using the following supfile:

[edited - Allen]

> [...]
> # the ports_sysutils module
> ports-sysutils
>
> ## Main Source Tree.
>
> # already done below - no module needed; here for CVSROOT
> src-base
> # the etc module
> src-etc
> # the include module
> src-include
> # the lib module
> src-lib
> # the sys module
> src-sys
>
> # change to installing
> *default prefix=/var/usr
>
> # This is for ports, so the tag is .
> *default tag=.
>
> ## Ports
>
> ports-archivers
> ports-base
> ports-comms
> ports-editors
> # needed for XEmacs:
> ports-graphics
> ports-mail
> ports-misc
> ports-print
> ports-shells
> ports-textproc
> ports-www
>
> # this is for the main source code, e.g. stable
> *default tag=RELENG_2_2
>
> ## Main Source Tree
>
> src-base
> src-bin
> src-contrib
> src-gnu
> src-libexec
> src-release
> src-sbin
> src-share
> src-tools
> src-usrbin
> src-usrsbin
>
> src-crypto
> src-secure
>
> The above is more complicated than the norm, since I'm working on some
> changes to some of the source code (mainly for ipfilter). I did a
> cvs checkout of the appropriate ports and (using -r RELENG_2_2) src
> directories.
>
> The make buildworld failed when it tried building stuff in the
> usr.sbin/pccard/pccardc which attempted to include a file
> pccard/cardinfo.h. From examining
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-CVS/src/usr.sbin/pccard/pccardc/dumpcis.c,v,
> the problem appears to be that cvsup fetched an incompatible version of
> the dumpcis.c file, which has a change from including pccard/card.h to
> including pccard/cardinfo.h.
>
> Since I have no need for the pccard stuff, I've done the temporary fix
> of removing pccard from the SUBDIRS in the src/usr.sbin Makefile, but:
> 	A. this is not suitable for someone who wants the pccard stuff
> and	B. this goes away, IIRC, the next time I do a cvsup.
> Therefore, any assistance would be appreciated.
>
> 	Thanks,
> 	-Allen
>
> Here's the possibly significant sections of the make buildworld
> logfile I created using make buildworld |& tee make.buildworld.log:

[edited... - Allen]