Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 19:25:35 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "David A. Richards" <dave@ns1.richcon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tar extraction shooting itself in foot

"David A. Richards" writes:
> Hi,
> I've been using freebsd for 4 years.
> Today I tried to unpack a large tar file I made last night. It's about 200MB
> in size. tar can only extract about 500 kb of it though....
>

> This is what I get:
>
> % tar -xvf var.tar
> (uncompresses about 40 files)
> tar: Skipping to next file header...
> %
>
> The problem is it only extracts about 1% of all the files in the archive, the
> n gives up when it says "Skipping to next file header...".

GNU tar has had similar problems in the past. You can try try GNU tar
1.12 in the ports at /usr/ports/sysutils/gtar.

I'd give pax(1) a chance at it first. "pax -r -f filename.tar" should be
essentially the same as "tar -x -f filename.tar"

IMHO: 200MB isn't a large tar file. Unless you had to type it yourself.
 :-)