Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:30:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI resets in CAM during startup....

(yes, I know I'm supposed to be working on tape stuff, but I had to put on
another hat today...gawd, my head aches....)

I'd like to make a request- I'd like the initial SCSI reset done currently
by the CAM probe framework to be:

	a) The responsibility/discretion of the hba driver to perform.

	b) Config option'ed off (for a CAM_MULTI_INITIATOR) option.

This doesn't mean that a camcontrol cannot occur, but I don't want to
always have it on automatically.

One reason for #a is that the Fibre Channel equivalent of this is
pretty heavy weight.

If I implement this in the Qlogic as the BUS_RESET command, it basically
then has to traverse the entire loop and send a FCP CMND_IU to all logged
in targets with the RESET_TARGET task management function. This can be
really problematic for a lot of loop configurations, as well as being
completely unnecessary from a state point of view.

If I implement this as a Loop Reset or a LIP, that's even more drastic.

What I've been doing up until now is ignoring the XPT_RESET_BUS for Fibre
Channel, but that's not right either.

This also plays all into #b, where you really don't want to issue bus
resets at all if you can help it. The current Qlogic parallel SCSI code
actually forces async/narrow as it's first state so state management is a
bit easier.

Opinions?

-matt