Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 22:04:37 -0500
From:      "John Anthony Kazos Jr." <jkazos@usa.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Newbie, general intro questions...

:-) Hi!

Is this the correct list for this type of question? It said not to send
general "how-to" questions to the technical lists, but I'm not sure whether
or not *this* is one of them.

I am using VirtualPC 2.0 with Windows95 and wish to have FreeBSD 2.2.8.
Partitioning is no problem, but what is the recomended size for a maximum
install with plenty of space left over, but still running Windoze? (2.8GB
avail. for both together). And is it really necessary to partition
separately for each directory, or may I simply have one for swap and one
for /, since I won't be doing any multi-user things with it (desktop only)?

The best way to install for me is from DOS partition, so I would like to
know how to. Specifically: what do I download besides
FreeBSD/releases/<2.2.8-foldername> to get the biggest possible collection
of everything installable from FreeBSD.org? (Mirror site is local to me, I
get 1000K/sec).

And does anyone know about any listings/searches/etc. for FreeBSD programs?
Like a links page, something on umich, etc.? Is there a webring? Is there a
FAQ that tells all of this that I missed and am bothering you and making
you mad? ;-) I'm a *good* little newbie, yes I am.