Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 01:30:45 +0800 (WST)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.DIALix.COM>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_mux hack?

On Tue, 14 Nov 1995, Joe Greco wrote:
> > Sound interesting?  Is it a "worthy hack"?  (especially since Linux has
> > something like it.. :-)
>
> I had been intending to play with this under iijppp but never did.  Since
> the "tun" device brings an IP interface into userland, one should be able to
> do whatever one pleases at that level...  including writing alternative
> transport mechanisms that do load balancing.
>
> :-)

Yep..  I'd thought about this too.  I also had an evil idea on how to get
around lossy/saturated international internet links.  Use if_tun to get
datagrams out to userspace, and encapsulate them in UDP packets for
transmission to a daemon on freefall, redundantly transmitting each UDP
packet two or three times, or with a non-backoff retransmission
algorithm...

Desperate things for desperate times...  Quite anti-social I know, but
doing interactive work over a link that's doing 70% packet drop is
extremely painful. :-(  TCP is doing so much backoff that it's
practically useless.  (BTW: if there's an easy way to violate the RFC's
by clamp the maximum TCP retransmission values I'd love to know...)

-Peter