Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:18:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 10 years of "The Complete FreeBSD" (5150)

Greg,

I want to thank you for you help in making FreeBSD what it is today.

I first met Greg on a fluke and a weird one that that too.

While working in techsupport at Linuxcare, and the only one to my
knowledge doing so running FreeBSD, I was sitting there one day and
this fellow comes in, scans the room and makes a bee-line to my work
area.  I at the time was the only techsupport with my personal
library of Unix/Linux tech books.  Having just left the Machinist
Union for the 'dot-com' I was alway one for self help.

This guy, with the scraggly beard reaches over me, grabs the first
FreeBSD book written by Greg Lehey and opens it.

At that time in San Francisco we were having alot of homeless people
getting into the office building and sometimes wandering the halls
on drugs, drunk or whatever.

When I asked him "Hey..., can I help you?"  He said, "I wrote this
book!"

At that time I was sure he was "5150" (the penal code for being
nuts) and I was about to get up and escort him out when one of my
co-workers, knowing my background as an ex-steelworker at the San
Francisco waterfront "quickly" jumped in and introduced "Greg Lehey"
to me, I then realized it was not a joke, Greg was not a homeless
person, and I've felt honored ever since to have been a co-worker of
his, briefly sharing the same domain name in our work's email
address.

A few weeks later Richard Stallman came through the office...  I
had the exact same inkling this time but jumped up pre-emptively and
again my co-worker came to the rescue.

I could write a book of the stuff that I've experienced, maybe call
it "From the Shipyards to Silicon Valley" or something....

The one thing I've learned (besides FreeBSD kicks ass) is that in
this industry you can NEVER, EVER judge a book by it's cover!

--
Bill Schoolcraft <> http://wiliweld.com

"If your life was full of nothing but
sunshine, you would just be a desert."