Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:47:06 +0100
From:      Erwin Lansing <erwin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lost maintainers

--YIwHDYD8sUXtBKvt

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 10:33:37AM -0500, Matthew Emmerton wrote:
>=20
> IMHO, even 2-3 months is too long -- this is almost a complete release
> cycle (considering that releases are every 3-4 months and the ports tree
> is frozen for 2-4 weeks prior to release.)
>=20
> This can cause important updates (features, version bumps, security fixes)
> to miss two consecutive releases and users (especially those installing
> from packages) get irked by this a lot.
>=20
> I'm not suggesting that we drop maintainership after say 1 month, but I
> think there should be some understanding between ports committers such
> that good, well-formed patches from the user community be committed even
> without maintainer's blessing, after a set period of maintainer
> unresponsiveness.
>=20
There is such an understanding. 3 weeks is considered "approval by
timeout" for committing pathces. For security related issues, it is up
to the committers discretion. But reassigning maintainership is a whole
different issues than single patches.

--=20
Erwin Lansing      (,-.`._,'(       |\`-/|    erwin@lansing.dk
http://droso.org       `-.-' \ )-`( , o o)    erwin@FreeBSD.org