Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 2000 09:57:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>
To:        Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Great American Gas Out

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Olaf Hoyer wrote:

> >Yes, but look at the fact that for a fuel injected car with an oxygen
> >sensor (i.e. Lambada-Sond for many European cars), oxygenated fuel just
> >means that more fuel is burnt, creating more pollution.  Sure the exhaust
> >is marginally cleaner, but there's also going to be more of the "cleaner"
> >exhaust.
> Hi!
>
> Well, every german car has to have a three-way-catalysator by now,
> otherwise the taxes charged will be three times as high... And as of the
> improvements in engine technology, they use sometimes half the fuel than of
> 10 or 15 years ago...

Yes, but look at the trend in America towards larger engines and larger
vehicles.  And yes, a catalytic convertor does reduce emissions, but a
fuel injected car, with an oxygen sensor, when fed oxygenated fuel will
think that it's running lean and richen the mixture, meaning more fuel is
burned than needed.  Oxygenated fuel only works well with carb'd cars.
Even then, I think that unleashing MTBE on the environment is a BAD idea.

> FYI, the old VW beetle was able to also use unleaded. beginning with some
> engine series in the seventies. If you knew which engine rev you had, you
> could use unleaded with no harm to the engine...

Sure, and many older engines were also able to use unleaded gasoline or be
retrofited to handle it, but, it wasn't outlawed in California until the
late 80s or early 90s, and was still available in the UK up until recently
I think.

> Yes, here in germany it makes up most of the price at all...
> 1 litre of diesel is 1,50 DM, normal unleaded is about 1,80DM, and super
> plus (the replacement for really old ones and highpower engines that would
> need lead and/or have a high compression) is sometimes a bit above 2 DM.
> 1 U$~2 DM

The tax per gallon of gas (and who is collecting the tax) is actually on a
sticker at each island usually (at least here).  The cheapest here that I
have found is 1.55 for 87 Octane, 1.75 for 89, and 1.99 for 91.  Even the
small "independant" stations are more expensive.

> >Also, when comparing the gasoline prices of America to those of other
> >countries, consider that the $1.55/gal gas (well the "cheap stuff")
> >would most likely not be doing too much good for a small high output
> >engine that requires high octane.
>
> Yes, but those people driving those cars whether have money to afford their
> "hobby", as (at least european) high-performance cars are quite expensive
> to buy...

Well, no.  I'm not even referring to extremely high-performance cars.  I
think that there would be quite a few non high perf cars in Europe that
would not handle the 86 or 87 octane gasoline (or M85 in some areas) too
well.

- alex

My profound quote: "Mmmm, crunchy"