Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 22:42:46 +1100
From:      "Administration" <god@sneaker.net.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   config prob with IBM PC330

Hi folks,

I am having a real problem with installing / configuring FreeBSD v3.2 on a
IBM PC Server 330, and I was hoping someone could help....

I can boot from the SCSI CD-ROM and get to the visual config. I then del
out
all the unwanted support and the Quit & Save. The install process continues
with further scans of the hardware until it gets to the SCSI section.

I get the 'waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle' message - and
then
nothing, the system hangs (I have waited over 8 hours and no response).

I have tried a 'boot -cv' and it appears that the install looks at the bios
for the drive geometries just prior the the '15 second settle', and they
are
dumped to the console as all 0000's (curious indeed).

I have check the termination, I have disabled all the onboard/built-in
devices
(like the ether card), and turned off the Adaptec 7880 (replacing it with a
PCI 2940 unit.  I have even tried setting 'eisa 8' in the startup, but
still
no dice.

Any ideas??

The IBM PC server 330 has 8x EISA slots  and  5x PCI slots,  Built-in IBM
Ethernet port, Built-in Adaptec 7880 UltraFast / Wide controller, and a
late
series Cirrus Logic 1Mb Video.  This unit also support 8x Hotswap Drive
Bays.

Suggestions graciously accepted,
John Goddard

  ,-_|\  SneakerNet       |     Support Team     |    Mob: 0419 233 887
 /     \ P.O. Box 154     |  god@sneaker.net.au  |    Fax: 02 9743 4233
 \_,-._/ N Strathfield +--+----------------------+---+ Ph: 02 9743 4233
      v  NSW 2137      | Low cost Internet Solutions |