Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 14:30:46 -0600
From:      Michael Owens <mike@mikesclutter.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unresponsive when default route is down

Yep that's it. It was resolving LAN IPs via the default route, which when
down, caused it to take a long time to time out.

I did not properly configure the router to consult the internal DNS server: my
IPF rules were blocking it. Once I modified them, it works like a charm, with
or without the default gateway.

Thanks for your help.

Michael Owens