Date:      Wed, 16 May 2018 02:29:42 +0000
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>
Cc:        Christopher Hall <christopherhall.hsw@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unable to boot 11.2-BETA1 on BeagleBone

--2F7AbV2suvT8PGoH

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 09:26:01PM -0500, Mike Karels wrote:
> > Hi Christopher,
>=20
> > On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 10:02:30AM +0800, Christopher Hall wrote:
> > > Hello Glen,
> > >
> > > On Tue, 15 May 2018 13:46:49 +0000, Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org> wro=
te:

C'

> > > Just tried
> > > FreeBSD-11.2-PRERELEASE-arm-armv6-BEAGLEBONE-20180504-r333226.img.xz
> > >
> > > on my working BBB but only got repeated 'C' on serial port.
> > >
>=20
> > To be clear, you observed the repeated 'C' on the serial port, and the
> > system did not boot?  I want to make sure, since you mentioned you did
> > see at least some repetition of 'C' on the console but eventually the
> > system did come up fine.
>=20
> > In either case, thank you very much for testing.
>=20
> Following up on previous email and filling in details:
>=20
> I also get repeated 'C' on the serial console when the sytem tries to
> boot from EMMC.  With 11.2-BETA1 or the older snapshot, this happened
> even if I held down the boot switch.  I think it is from a repeated
> error that I have also seen along the lines of "Cannot set timing on EMMC"
> but I can't prove that.  But it boots fine from SD card with 11.1,
> and (fwiw) the EMMC works fine from FreeBSD.
>=20
> I'll file the PR if no one has beaten me to it.
>=20

Please do, and thank you for the report.  By the way, I had intended to
follow-up to the 11.2-BETA1 announcement with a "hey, can someone test
the BBB image, I think I have faulty hardware", but my outbox suggests
it was never sent.

My apologies to everyone that has run into this issue with 11.2-BETA1.

Glen

--2F7AbV2suvT8PGoH

--2F7AbV2suvT8PGoH--