Date:      Sun, 1 Jan 1995 14:15:04 +0100 (MET)
From:      roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier ROBERT)
To:        root@io.cts.com (Morgan Davis)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: perl 5?

> Is there a reason why perl 5.0 is not included in FBSD?  5.0 was
> release some months ago.  If not, is there a schedule for having it
> included into subsequent releases?

It was decided at the time not to include perl 5 but perl 4 because perl 5 was
still a beta and the vast majority of users know perl 4.

> If it's a question of time and a someone to ensure the port, I may be
> interested in doing it.  I installed it for SCO a few months ago
> without much pain.  FBSD will likely be a piece of cake.

Perl 5 is ./Configure; make in 2.1.

64 [14:10] roberto@keltia:FreeBSD/CTM> perl5.000 -v

This is perl, version 5.000

Copyright 1987-1994, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5.0 source kit.

--
Ollivier ROBERT   -=- FreeBSD: the daemon is FREE! -=-   roberto@FreeBSD.ORG
      FreeBSD keltia 2.1.0-Development #2: Thu Dec 29 20:28:18  1994