Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:54:30 PDT
From:      "Chris Jones" <chrisx77@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Inode/DQuot locking problem with vnode disk

I am currently trying to get quotas to work inside of a vnode disk
(filesystem in a file (using UFS)).  The problem is that I want the quotas
to work inside of a jail which is running with the vnode disk as it's "root"
directory.  The problem that I'm having is that after turning on the quotas
(this must be done outside of the jail), if I try to access a file which
already has a quota, or I try to modify the quota using edquota (from inside
of the jail), the process locks.  Once the process is locked, there is no
way to kill it, and any subsequent accesses to the vnode disk also locks.
These processes will stop in 1 of 5 different tsleep statements (inode,
chkdq1, chkdq2, chkiq1, or chkiq2).  I am assuming that the problems is that
the main filesystem puts a lock on the vnode disk file, and subsequently
tries to lock the indoe inside of the file and is unable b/c of the previous
lock on the vnode disk file.  Has anyone else seen this?  Any pointers would
be greatly appreciated.  Oh, yeah, the version is 4.0-STABLE.

Thank you,

Christophe