Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 17:39:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Alan Batie <batie@agora.rdrop.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bugs in gated makefile

--0-2069344289-882149990=:7576

On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Alan Batie wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 14, 1997 at 12:49:12PM -0800, Tom wrote:
> >   Of course.  You need to start with an empty work directory to make this
> > work.  All kinds of flag files are kept in their indicating build
> > progress.
>
> I've never seen anything in a work directory other than a version specific
> subdirectory, which is as it should be.  One should be able to upgrade without
> losing the old version "just in case" (which is far too often the case).

  Let me see:

.build_done
.configure_done
.extract_done
.package_done
.patch_done

> >   But what is it?  I don't see it here, and I just built gated from
> > scratch on 2.2.5-stable system on Friday without any problem.  I suspect
> > you have more cruft around that you need to remove.  Perhaps remove
> > /usr/ports/net/gated completely, and rebuild.
>
> Aye, and there's the bug: a dependence on something irrelevant that causes
> obscure failures.  While I *am* running an old 2.1.5 system, the man source
> directory is still in ports/net/gated/work/versiondir/man, and they still
> get installed in /usr/local/man/whereever.  Some of us actually use our
> systems and can't just blow away the system and reinstall from scratch on
> a whim... (which doesn't directly apply in this case, but there's a
> principle there I wish more people understood).

  Sorry, the ports framework isn't backwards compatible to older releases.

  There are better reasons for upgrading a 2.1.5 system though.  You don't
have to "blow away" your system to upgrade.  A source upgrade is possible
from 2.1 to 2.2.5.

> --
> Alan Batie                   ______      It's not my fault!  It's some guy
> batie@agora.rdrop.com        \    /      named "General Protection"!
> +1 503 452-0960               \  /       --Ratbert
> PGP FP: DE 3C 29 17 C0 49      \/        7A 27 40 A5 3C 37 4A DA 52 B9
>
> It is my policy to avoid purchase of any products from companies which
> use unrequested email advertisements or telephone solicitation.

Tom