Date:      Sat, 08 Jan 2000 03:44:56 -0600
From:      "Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net>
To:        Sean Heber <sean@bebits.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and MySQL don't seem to like each other

Sean Heber wrote:
> Why is mySQL misbehaving so badly?  Will I be forced to change to Linux in
> order to get around this?  I sure hope not as I've gotten to like
> FreeBSD--and I imagine there are others doing something like this.  What's
> the secret?

I've never played with mysql, but I do work in Sybase, and I can tell
you that there is a ton of settings that you can adjust to optimize the
performance of the server. I'm assuming that the two servers are running
exact duplicates of the database.

Does mysql require that you occasionally rebuilt statistics on the
Will mysql let you view the plan it's using for a query? If so, have you
verified that the query plan makes sense?
Are the two boxes running the same version of mysql?
If you're hammering the box with the same set of queries, or hitting the
same tables, do you have enough locks configured? Lock contention can be
a very ugly thing when it gets out of control.

Hope this helps a bit...
dB!
jim@nasby.net                                               /___\