Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 1999 00:20:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   limit on number of sockets by zone allocator

Hi,
	I was recently doing some throughput tests with the Apache webserver
on FreeBSD-4.0. It seems that the recently introduced (after FreeBSD-2) zone
allocator limits the maximum number of socket structures to about 8000 (I
configured my kernel with 256 MAXUSERS). A busy webserver can have about
50000 connections primarily due to TCP's TIME-WAIT state (see
http://cs-tr.cs.rice.edu/Dienst/UI/2.0/Describe/ncstrl.rice_cs/TR99-335/).
A limit of 8000 on socket descriptors would thus prevent a webserver from
achieving full throughput. Perhaps the maxsockets variable defined in
sys/uipc_socket2.c should be increased.

- Mohit