Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 1997 12:57:39 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: volume control on SCSI Toshiba CDdrive

On Friday, 21st November 1997, Wilko Bulte wrote:

>I just changed my old 4x Toshiba cdrom to a 12x Toshiba.
>To be precise, it is a TOSHIBA  CD-ROM XM-5701TA 3136.
>
>The 4x Toshiba audio volume was controllable using the WorkMan 'slide'.
>It seems that the 12x Toshiba does not respond to this. AFAIK
>the volume stuff is part of the SCSI standard these days.
>
>Any comments of fellow XM5701 owners?

I have the same problem.  Everything else works. :-)

xmcd could control volume on my old NEC 4x, but the new Toshiba ignores it.
It's just about impossible to keep a list of good working hardware. :-(

Does anyone have an inside contack at Toshiba?  Maybe there is a workaround.
If not, at least they will be able to club somebody!

Stephen.