Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 2002 23:27:05 -0600
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
To:        <nbari@unixmexico.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>, <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: tail -f <file> on webpage

On Sunday 08 December 2002 10:55 pm, nbari@unixmexico.com wrote:
> Hi all
>
> How can i make a tail -f <file> and show the results in a web page with
> out having to reload the page every N seconds
>
> i am using PHP in a script like:
>
> <?php
> $error_log = '/var/log/apache/log';
> passthru ("tail -f  $error_log");
> ?>
>
> but i have to relaod the page to view new results.

First of all, this is off-topic for any FreeBSD list. They're cc'd only to let
them know someone has told you this. I would suggest trying a PHP list,
but...

... you can't do this with PHP. You're viewing a (pure HTML) page generated by
PHP, and for anything to change on it, the page needs to be regenerated, e.g.
reloaded.

-David

--
On the whole I am against mass murder. I rarely commit it myself, and
often find myself quite out of sympathy with those who make a habit of it.

Astronomy and Astrophysics Center
The University of Chicago