Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 21:45:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On freezes in 3.2-Stable

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, W Gerald Hicks wrote:
:->When I kept up with the numbers for these things in a former
:->life working for a disk manufacturer, I was always astounded
:->at how much current the drives pulled during their power-on
:->sequence.  After startup, current begins to taper off rapidly.

This stopped being relevant a long time ago, but...

DEC MIPS-based workstations worked around this problem by having
tweaked PROMs on their SCSI drives, with a SPIN-UP-ON-POWERON bit that
defaulted to off. Ultrix would send the drives the SCSI command to
spin them up - *after* everything else in the system was powered
on. This meant they could use a cheaper power supply, as no supported
configuration required it to deal with more than one drive spinning up
at a time.

Dealing with this was the *least* of the problems in trying to use DEC
SCSI drives on other platforms. But they could be made to work.

	<mike