Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2019 11:54:46 -0400
From:      "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   centos6 on byhive freebsd-11.1

I wish to install a CentOS-6 guest on a FreeBSd-11.1 host using BHyve.

I have configured the template file as follows:

loader="grub"
cpu=2
memory=4G
network0_type="virtio-net"
network0_switch="public"
disk0_type="virtio-blk"
disk0_name="disk0.img"
grub_install0="linux /isolinux/vmlinuz"
grub_install1="initrd /isolinux/initrd.img"
grub_run0="linux /vmlinuz-2.6.32-573.el6.x86_64
root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root"
grub_run1="initrd /initramfs-2.6.32-573.el6.x86_64.img"

The ISO image is /zroot/vm/.iso/CentOS-6.10-x86_64-minimal.iso

The command to vm used to create the guest is:

vm create -s 100G -t centos6-2x4 inet09 &&  vm install inet09
CentOS-6.10-x86_64-minimal.iso

When I start the vm I see this:

NAME            DATASTORE       LOADER      CPU    MEMORY    VNC
           AUTOSTART    STATE
inet09          default         grub        2      4G        -
           No           Bootloader (73220)

When I connect to the console then I see this:

  Booting `inet09 (bhyve run)'

error: disk `hd0,1' not found.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue...

Which eventually turns into this:

                             GNU GRUB  version 2.00

 |inet09 (bhyve run)                                                |
. . .

      Use the ^ and v keys to select which entry is highlighted.
      Press enter to boot the selected OS, `e' to edit the commands
      before booting or `c' for a command-line.

Selecting the only entry highlighted gives the initial error message.
Dropping into the grub shell I see this:

grub> ls
(hd0) (host)
grub> ls hd0
error: disk `hd0,1' not found.

At this point I am at a loss as to how to proceed.  What do I do next
to get CentOS-6 to boot for initial configuration?

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3