Date:      Sat, 13 Aug 2016 14:37:15 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Toby <misc.lists@fsck.ch>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Updating RPI2 from 11-CURRENT to RELENG_11

On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Toby <misc.lists@fsck.ch> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Now that RELENG_11 has been tagged, I want to update my RPI2 Model B,
> which currently is running
>
> FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r297561: Wed Apr  6 07:28:56 CEST 2016
>
> Is there anything special to consider, or can I just check out the new
> tree and rebuild world?
>
> Looking in UPDATING, only the following entry looks like it might affect
> me. But I don't quite understand its consequences:
>
> 20160517:
>         The armv6 port now defaults to hard float ABI. Limited support
>         for running both hardfloat and soft float on the same system
>         is available using the libraries installed with -DWITH_LIBSOFT.
>         This has only been tested as an upgrade path for installworld
>         and packages may fail or need manual intervention to run. New
>         packages will be needed.
>
>         To update an existing self-hosted armv6hf system, you must add
>         TARGET_ARCH=armv6 on the make command line for both the build
>         and the install steps

Short answer is that you'll need to re-install all packages because of this.
They will work for a while, but as updates happen 'cross threading' can
occur if the updates are partial unless you specifically do special things.
Only extreme special needs use cases will be affected (like having only
binaries linked against the soft float ABI libraries).

Warner