Date:      Sat, 7 Oct 2000 09:14:18 -0500
From:      "Doug Poland" <doug@polands.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Need help configuring gateway

Hello,

I'm a newbie trying to set up my 4.1.1-RELEASE box to
act as a gateway/router (I think this is also called a
dual homed host) for my network.  So far I've gone
through Greg's chapter on configuring the network,
the handbook, and http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/
but I'm missing something.

I have a machine with ed0 configured with DHCP and
successfully communicating with RoadRunner via cable modem.
The same machine also has ed1 configured with static IP and
successfully communicating with my internal network.
BTW, I'm not trying to set up a firewall yet as I'm not
confident I can successfully configure both at the same
time.  I'm trying to understand the routing part then
move on to ipfw.

I've done a sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding to verify that
packet forwarding is on.  I'm running named with the
forwarders set to RoadRunners DNS servers.  My resolv.conf
also has the same DNS ips in it.

From my windows machine (also successfully connected
to internal network) when I type

   C:\>ping freebsd.org

   Pinging freebsd.org [216.136.204.18] with 32 bytes of data:

   Request timed out.
   Request timed out.
   Request timed out.
   Request timed out.

   Ping statistics for 216.136.204.18:
      Minimum = 0ms, Maximum =  0ms, Average =  0ms

So I'm getting some connectivity because the IP address
is being returned, but it looks like my packets aren't
forwarding.

What am I missing?

Regards,
Doug