Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:01:29 -0800
From:      Joe Park <joepark@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SoundBlaster Live! value and NVIDIA Riva TNT2 ultra (diamond viper v770d ultra)

Hello,

Is there way to configure FreeBSD to take advantage of SoundBlaster Live
(not generic soundblaster drive) and NVIDIA Riva TNT2 ultra? I know it
supports riva tnt2 but is there way to change clock speed to "ultra"
setting or even overclocking it?  How about 3D accelerations?  Is there
anyway to confirm how many video memory is probed?  I could specify only
upto 16meg.

I've been using FreeBSD for my home server and loved it.  I just tried
RedHat 6.1 for my new workstation and it looks good too, with all the bells
and whistles.  Now I want to try FreeBSD for my workstation since I learned
so much (to my standard) about it while I used as a server and I'm
beginning to feel more comfortable with it.  (it's working really great as
a NFS file server, SAMBA file server, ftp file server, IP masquering for my
cable modem connection, etc, and I just love it)  Now my questions are, can
FreeBSD play QuakeIII within Linux emulation?  And can anyone suggest me
good applications I should install?  (graphic applications, mp3 players,
utilities, etc)

And finally, I have couple questions about MBR.  Is there anyway to veiw
and edit MBR other that just erasing it with "fdisk /MBR" on MSDOS?  I
always feel uneasy when I do "fdisk /MBR"; feels like I'm erasing some
vital data on first sector and I especially don't want to try it on my new
pc without knowing what's going on.  This was for boot manager, just in
case I want to uninstall it.

Oh, my last question is everytime I install FreeBSD from CD, it tells me
that some ports or datas are missing and it points out that I was
installing it from "local".  So I try with ftp install, it gave me same
error.  It works fine though.  It was FreeBSD 3.3 by the way.

Sorry for random questions.  I'm open to any suggestions and thank you for
help.

Sincerely,

Joe