Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 1997 08:36:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dev Chanchani <dev@wopr.inetu.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   MD5 vs. DES

WHen I install servers, I don't select any options when it asks for
additional encryptions services (des, kerb, etc) during install.

We have frontpage 3.0 (98 extensions) setup and they seem to create des
passwords by default. I beleive our systems (not selecting any options)
installs md5 libcrypt. So frontpage never works after I setup a web, I
have to go use htpasswd to create a new password again, then everythign
works.

Can I dropin a new libcrypt, do a make world or something to solve this
compadibability issue on a running server? Should I just re-compile
htpasswd and httpd to use des (is this possible with libcrypt using md5).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dev Chanchani   - INetU, Inc.(tm)     - http://www.INetU.net
dev@inetu.net   - Ph: (610) 266-7441  - Fx: (610) 266-7434
Web Development - Electronic Commerce - Web Hosting