Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 1997 21:07:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Andreas S. Wetzel" <root@deadline.snafu.de>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP kernel wont work with -current

On Sat, 15 Mar 1997, Andreas S. Wetzel wrote:

> Hi!
> ---
>
> Today I tested the SMP kernel with the most recent -current and it wont
> work. When booting up the machine using the SMP kernel it is unable to
> mount any filesystem since mount reports:
>
> exec: mount_ not found in /sbin and /usr/sbin
>
> Using an older mount binary with this kernel seems to work fine.
>
> Any ideas about that?

Yeah.  Peter Wemm posted (while he was doing his 4.4 Lite2 merge on
current) that when he did the stuff on mount, that this would break any
one not running a real recent kernel.  This happens fairly often in
current, so was in itself unremarkable, but when he did that, I asked him
specifically about the smp kernel, and he agreed this would knock out
anyone running smp from also doing current.

I'm too busy to do what's needed myself, which is a merge of code from
the current tree to the smp tree (which is maintained separately, in a
completely different cvs tree), but until that gets done, forget about
running both smp and current simultaneously.

One point: smp is  now runnable.  When it gets updated, well, it won't be
runnable during that time (wasn't last time).  In order for you to get smp
running again, you're going to have to check out a tree dated before the
Lite-2 merge, and do a make world on that.  Or maybe just live with the
old mount binaries, I don't know how good an idea that would be.  I won't
have time to do the merge until summer, I hope smp doesn't have to wait
until then.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |