Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 13:57:21 +0900
From:      Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd Rule in rc.firewall6

>>>>> On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:55:43 -0800
>>>>> "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com> said:

crist.clark> I was wondering if anyone here could explain this to me:
crist.clark>   # DAD
crist.clark>   ${fw6cmd} add pass ipv6-icmp from ff02::/16 to ::
crist.clark>   ${fw6cmd} add pass ipv6-icmp from :: to ff02::/16

crist.clark> I don't understand that first IPV6-ICMP rule. RFC2373 says,

crist.clark> 2.5.2 The Unspecified Address

crist.clark>    The address 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 is called the unspecified address.
crist.clark>    ...

crist.clark>    The unspecified address must not be used as the destination address
crist.clark>    of IPv6 packets or in IPv6 Routing Headers.

crist.clark> That rule sure looks like it is explicitly passing invalid
crist.clark> traffic. Unless someone can enlighten my ignorance here, I'm going to
crist.clark> nuke that rule.

RFC2461 4.3. says:

     Source Address
                     Either an address assigned to the interface from
                     which this message is sent or (if Duplicate Address
                     Detection is in progress [ADDRCONF]) the
                     unspecified address.

So,

	${fw6cmd} add pass ipv6-icmp from :: to ff02::/16

must be retained.  But, it seems

	${fw6cmd} add pass ipv6-icmp from ff02::/16 to ::

is not required.  When I wrote this, maybe I might confused.
But, I cannot test it just now.  I'll test it tonight.

ume@mahoroba.org  ume@bisd.hitachi.co.jp  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/