Date:      Sat, 25 Jul 1998 20:58:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@lucy.bedford.net>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        djv@bedford.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: named vs hosts (and qpopper)

Dan Langille wrote
> On 25 Jul 98, at 19:12, CyberPeasant wrote:
>
> > Well, I think we need a peek into the zone files.
> >
> > The client in your local LAN, right? Do you have reverse lookup OK in the
> > zone file for in-addr.arpa?
>
> Yes, the client is in my local lan.  I assume by 'zone file', this is my
> /etc/namedb/named.local file.
>

> > Assuming the client is box12.local.net 10.0.0.12, try:
> >

> The client in question is wocker 192.168.0.99.  I have a section in my
> /etc/namedb/named.local file which contains:
>
> $ORIGIN 0.168.192.IN-ADDR-ARPA
>
> 99	IN PTR	wocker.dvl-software.co.nz.
>
> My upstream host nameserver is alien.xtra.co.nz 202.27.184.3
>
> > $ nslookup
> > [message about localhost being the server]
>
> *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.20: Non-existant
> host/domain
> Server:  alien.xtra.co.nz
> Address: 202.27.184.3

Right, this is the problem.  It's not using your machine as the
nameserver, reason unknown.

Well, if you send me (off the list), the following files, I can
probably put you right.

/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/host.conf
/etc/namedb/named.boot
/etc/namedb/?????          the zone files named in named.boot, except
for the "cache" file.

There should be, of course, SOA and NS records in the zone files.

Dave
--
"Today, machines sit on our desks and spend the overwhelming majority
of their cycles doing nothing more important than blinking a cursor."