Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 02:30:44 -0400
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: stuck on MD5 passwd's, host to revert to DES

> On Sep 28 Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Jim Mercer wrote:
> >
> > > the reason i ask, is that if people cvsup without seeing or noticing this,
> > > they may not realize until too late that the new passwords are md5.
> > >
> > > anyone using nis with non-freebsd systems might get really upset.
> >
> > It should have been documented. It still can be :-)
>
> A change of this magnitude to default system behavior should have
> been preceded by a HEADS UP to the stable list, IMO.  Would have
> save me several hours of aggravation.

The default has always been one of two, DES or MD5 depending on whether or
not you installed DES, so there isn't a change in behavior for most people
(or, now that installing the "secure" distribution is really useful, I guess
most people who already use it).  Yes, I didn't quite document the switch
enough; I've fixed that now.  It wasn't necessarily easy to find the info in
login_cap(3) when compared to login.conf(5).  The yp(4) page also describes
it.