Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:00:55 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        powerpc@FreeBSD.org, amd64@FreeBSD.org, ia64@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Patch to optimize "bare" critical sections

Basically, I have a patch to divorce the interrupt disable/deferring to only
happen inside of spinlocks using a new spinlock_enter/exit() API (where a
spinlock_enter/exit includes a critical section as well) but that plain
critical sections won't have to do such a thing.  I've tested it on i386,
alpha, and sparc64 already, and it has also been tested on arm.  I'm unable
to get a cross-built powerpc kernel to link (linker dies with a signal 6),
but the compile did finish.  I have cross-compiled ia64 and amd64
successfully, but have not run tested due to ENOHARDWARE.  So, I would
appreciate it if a few folks could try the patch out on ppc, ia64, and amd64
to make sure it works ok.  Thanks.

http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/spinlock.patch