Date:      Sat, 19 Oct 1996 21:11:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        sia@nest.org, bag@ua.net, stesin@gu.net, fms@freeflight.com, serge@freenet.kiev.ua
Subject:   fMSX (MSX emulator) port uploaded

[ please trim Cc: list when replying to just freebsd-ports ]

hi,

I have just uploaded these files to ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/incoming:

-rwxr-xr-x  1 201  1  1793 Oct 19 20:54 fmsx-port.README
-rwxr-xr-x  1 201  1  1734 Oct 19 20:53 fmsx-port.tar.gz

This is a port of fMSX version 1.5 for FreeBSD (tested w/960501 SNAP).

Please take you time and merge contents of fmsx-port.tar.gz into
FreeBSD port's collection, emulators/fmsx subtree suggested.

For those who don't know, MSX family of computers was developed in early
'80s in Japan as probably the first cheap multimedia home computer in
existance (Z80, 128K RAM, 4-channel sound, video accelerator,
floppy, networking, MSX-DOS).  There is a whole generation of programmers
grown on MSXes in x-SU.  (No, I wasn't among them - I have grown on PDP-11
clones.)  The emulator runs pretty well even on fast 486es.

the contents of fmsx-port.README file follows:

This is README file for fmsx-port.tar.gz, port of
Marat Faizullin's portable MSX emulator, version 1.5.

Uploaded by: Dmitry.Kohmanyuk@farm.org

Notes on port:

- compiled without debugging (see -DDEBUG in patches/patch-aa)
- Z80.c takes quite a long to compile with -O2
- the compilation assumes MITSHM extension to be present.
  If you don't have SHM in your kernel or are running remove X clients,
  use -noshm switch to fmsx.
- the dasm (Z80 disassembler), rddsk, and wrdsk (read/write MSX-DOS disks)
  executables are installed with names prefixed with fmsx- because I felt
  their names are too generic.
- the emulator tries to open system ROM files in current directory, so
  I have renamed it to fmsx.bin and wrote a small wrapper script which
  chdirs to /usr/local/share/fmsx beforehand (btw, this is preferred place
  to store new ROMs since you would have to type full pathname otherwise)

Notes on emulator:

- you need to run under 8-bit X server (see emulator docs)
- to hear sound, you need working /dev/audio, a _fast_ CPU (my 486 DX2-80
  is not fast, but acceptable, P90 is sure enough) and -sound option.
- if you use rtprio(1) to ensure the emulator wouldn't be slowed
  down by other non-important tasks (like cron jobs or people logging to
  your machine ;-), make sure to also set same priority for X server and
  window manager (it really helps!)
- you can also lower screen resolution to improve performance and
  have a better MSX feeling ;-)
- to run MegaROM games, you need -msx2+ and -rom 1|2|3 depending
  on the ROM type (experiment);
- if you feel like programming in MSX-Basic, run fmsx without filename
  arguments;
- look at /usr/local/share/doc/fMSX.doc for more info;
- don't ask me for *.ROM files, they are available on the Net.

Enjoy!

Dmitry