Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 14:13:46 -1000 (HST)
From:      "David Langford" <langfod@dihelix.com>
To:        brian@mpress.com (Brian Litzinger)
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more on Tyan motherboard changes

>TYAN's Talon AT utilizes Intel's newest and fastest Pentium Pro chipset,
>the 440FX PCIset. It has eight PCI slots (four bus master and four
>I2O-compliant) and three ISA slots, which allows room for PCI expansion
>and support for older cards. This full size (13"x12") AT board includes
>eight 72-pin SIMM sockets with support for a maximum of 1GB EDO or FPM
>DRAM.
>
>The Talon AT features Intel's i960 I2O processor with Wind River
>Systems' IxWorks RT Operating System installed to implement the I2O
>architecture. I2O is a new architecture that is being promoted by Intel
>and others to improve I/O performance by offloading I/O interruptions
>to free the server's CPU for applications processing. TYAN is a member
>of the I2O SIG which is spearheading the development of the standard.
>Novell, Microsoft, and The Santa Cruz Operation are among those
>developing I2O compliant upgrades to their operating systems.

Boy this sounds like IBM's older RT machines. With the virtual machines
and such.

Or is this more like Sequents I/O system (where all I/O goes through
a special board and get bottleneck there instead.

>on-board switching voltage regulator; and on-board PCI EIDE. It also has
>Super I/O for maximum performance, enabling it to utilize a wide variety

Did they mean it has super I/O or "Super I/O(TM)" ?
And what would that mean.

Interesting.

-David Langford
 langfod@dihelix.com