Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:02:01 -0500
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tar Ignoring out-of-order file What Does that Mean?

	I need to modify the first installation image for a
headless installation of Freebsd6.2. The file in question is:

6.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

	Thanks to a helpful member of the list, I found out that
tar works on unpacking these images and it mostly does on this
one, but there is a  complaint I get from tar that I haven't
found on other images. If I do a

tar tvf 6.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

Here is what happens while looking at the contents list:

0       44232 Jan 12  2007 RELNOTES.HTM lr-xr-xr-x  1 0      0
0 Jan 12  2007 stand -> /rescue lr-xr-xr-x  1 0      0           0
Jan 12  2007 sys -> usr/src/systar: Ignoring out-of-order file

-r--r--r--  1 0      0       22916 Jan 12  2007 RELNOTES.TXT

It appears that the entire image unpacks except for the
ignored file. If one tries the extraction with

tar xf 6.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

The complaint about the out-of-order file is the only indication
that anything is wrong.

	In looking at the man page for tar, nothing jumps out at
me  as to how to end up with the proper file structure that
mkisofs can put back in to an image to put on a CDROM.

	My thanks for any suggestions as I may be needing to do
one of these installs in a day or so and it would be nice to
know that all the image is there.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer