Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 18:44:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
Cc:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>, qa@FreeBSD.org, marcel@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cputype=486

On 13-Mar-01 Larry Rosenman wrote:
> * John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> [010312 19:46]:
>>
>> On 13-Mar-01 Larry Rosenman wrote:
>> > * Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com> [010312 18:32]:

>> > NOPE, doesn't work, as install -fschg doesn't work across NFS.
>> >
>> > I'll post the log in a bit.
>> >
>> > SO, now I guess I have to ignore the CPUTYPE= setting while installing
>> > the 486.
>> >
>> > I don't think this was what was intended.
>>
>> Can you try editing src/Makefile.inc1 where it says something like this:
>>
>> installworld:
>>         mkdir -p ${INSTALLTMP}
>>         for prog in [ awk cat chflags chmod chown date echo egrep find grep
>>         \
>>             install ln make makewhatis mtree mv perl rm sed sh sysctl \
>>             test true uname wc zic; do \
>>                 cp `which $$prog` ${INSTALLTMP}; \
>>         done
>>         cd ${.CURDIR}; ${IMAKE} reinstall
>>         rm -rf ${INSTALLTMP}
>>
>> add 'strip' to the list of files copied in that loop and then try running a
>> normal installworld with an NFS mounted /usr/obj and /usr/src on the 486
>> like
>> you did originally?
>
> No dice:
>
> mkdir -p /tmp/install.20973
> for prog in [ awk cat chflags chmod chown date echo egrep find grep  install
> ln make makewhatis mtree mv perl rm sed sh sysctl  strip test true uname wc
> zic; do  cp `which $prog` /tmp/install.20973;  done
> cd /usr/src; MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj
> COMPILER_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/libexec:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin
> LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/lib:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/lib
> OBJFORMAT_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/libexec  PERL5LIB=/usr/obj/usr/src/i3
> 86/usr/libdata/perl/5.00503
> PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr
> /src/i386/usr/games:/tmp/install.20973 make -f Makefile.inc1 reinstall

Oh, the /tmp/install.XXXX path is last here.  Grrrr, so the cross tools gets
used during installworld. :(  This is _bad_ and breaks cross built world
installs.  Marcel, can we have just the /tmp/install.XXXXX' as the path for the
installworld?

Larry, it may not work, but you can try editing src/Makefile.inc1 again and
changing the IMAKEENV variable to just set PATH to ${INSTALLTMP} (i.e. remove
${STRICTTMPPATH}).  You may have to add more binaries to the list of those
copied over in the installworld: target for it to work however.  As for a
general solution, this still might not work for cross builds to other archs as
some of the binaries that are needed aren't statically linked I'm betting.