Date:      Sun, 06 Feb 2000 16:30:45 -0600
From:      Ford Prefect <fordp@guide.chi.il.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Channel Bonded Ethernet

A few weeks ago in a thread entitled: Beowulf on FreeBSD ?

I posed the question of how to do channel bonding on FreeBSD.

I recieved a reply from Alejandro Ramirez whhich linked me to the following
packages
http://www.inficad.com/~garbled/clusterit.html
http://www.coyotepoint.com/freequalizer.shtml

While they both seem quite useful, clusterit does not appear to contain
what I need and Freequalizer claims it can't run on anything past 2.2.
which doesn't help me.

I've been looking into other alternatives but have come up short.

The idea of all this is to maximize throughput in a cluster by using two
seperate NICs in each machine while keeping the details of it transparent
to the end user.

There is a program for patched versions of linux (kernel 2.0.36) called
ifenslave that does what I need, but I'm trying to avoid using Linux. (The
solution for linux is described here:
http://beowulf.gsfc.nasa.gov/software/bonding.html)

Any insight, resources, etc would be appreciated. Is it possible that natd
could perform this? If so what kind of configuration would I need?

 \ Ford Prefect                   Ahead of my time.    \
  \ fordp@guide.chi.il.us           but only by a week. \
   \ homepage.interaccess.com/~fordp                     \
     \          ((In esperanto where available))           \