Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2012 16:47:51 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Jakob Pedersen <jakobp78@gmail.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org, wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with RaLink rt61pci/rt2561 wifi card

Hi,

On 25 February 2012 05:45, Jakob Pedersen <jakobp78@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> Thank you for the tips for diagnosing my WiFi issue. It seems to be the
> gain settings on the wifi card somehow (I am in not much of a technical
> person, but at least that's what it seems to me). For PC-BSD the signal
> strength is measured to -54 dB just next to the router and when stepping
> away like 5 - 6 metres the signal is lost at -95 dB (Same level as noise dB
> level). The decrease in not sudden but drops gradually when distance to
> router is being increased. I am dual booting Arch linux on the same laptop,
> where WiFi works fine and it measures - 20 dBm next to the router and - 70
> dBm where PC-BSD looses connection. Not really sure, what to do from here
> though..

Right. Well, you've got a starting point. Maybe go through the driver
looking for things to do with RX gain, RX calibration, etc.
Then look at the linux driver and see if there are any obvious differences.

I know, I'm asking you to do code debugging, but I'm just not able to
help you out at the moment I'm sorry!

Adrian