Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 1995 08:18:08 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: benchmark hell..

> > To the contrary, *make*ing the Linux shlib's is a pain in the butt,
> > while it's a very easy process to create a SunOS-like shlib.
>
> That will change with the introduction of the ELF format for binaries.
> They will have the same ease of use and it seems not that slower either from
> the report I got from my Linux's friends.

Actually, folks I have talked to have given me the exact opposite
report.  And some people on the newsgroups have complained about the
switch to ELF binaries since they are significantly slower than the
original shlib implementation.

I think our shlib implementatio is still probably slower than the ELF
shlib stuff, but I suspect it's not much anymore.

Nate