Date:      Wed, 8 Feb 2006 10:20:13 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Lukas Ertl <le@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Ferruccio Zamuner <nonsolosoft@diff.org>, freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: gvinum setstate failure

--k6SrlR5F+BMzH45x

On Tuesday,  7 February 2006 at 11:01:14 +0100, Lukas Ertl wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Ferruccio Zamuner wrote:
>
>> While I'm able to execute from gvinum
>> gvinum -> setstate up veloce.p0.s0
>>
>> The same command on sicuro.p0.s0 fails:
>> gvinum -> setstate up sicuro.p0.s0
>> gvinum: cannot set subdisk state
>>
>> gvinum -> setstate up sicuro.p1.s0
>> gvinum: cannot set subdisk state
>>
>> sicuro is the name of volume in mirror, while veloce is in stripping.
>>
>> How can I change stale status to up on those subdisks?
>
> If it's a mirror you should run "start <volume>" to let it synchronize.

'setstate' is not the same as 'start'.  It's an emergency function to
manipulate the state without going through the normal procedures.  For
example, if you know that the plex currently marked 'up' is in fact
corrupt, and the plex currently marked 'down' contains the correct
data, you don't want to run start.

Greg

--k6SrlR5F+BMzH45x

--k6SrlR5F+BMzH45x--