Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:56:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>
To:        kris@FreeBSD.org, str@giganda.komkon.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: openssl-0.95a creates /usr/local/openssl/man

> From kris@FreeBSD.org Mon Aug 14 02:44:35 2000
>
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Igor Roshchin wrote:
>

> > Hello!
> >
> > I wonder why openssl.0.95a from the ports collection
> > creates /usr/local/openssl/man and other man[1357] subdirectories in it
> > instead of installing all manpages to /usr/local/man ?
>
> It installs a number of manpages which have the same name as other
> (system) manpages, for example passwd(1). It's the same reason we dont
> install the manpages by default for the version of OpenSSL in the base
> system.
>
> Kris

May be the package should add /usr/local/man to the system-wide MANPATH ?
If not - may be there is some other solution?
At the very least, there should be a note that appears on the screen at the end
of the output from "make install" that would warn that the man pages
are in a different location.
Otherwise, if one assumes that this port follows the general convention
will never find those man pages... :)

As for the OpenSSL in 4.0 - I still can not find the man pages for the
OpenSSl that became a part of the base system.

Regards,

Igor