Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:38:34 -0400
From:      Andrew Arensburger <arensb@cfar.umd.edu>
To:        Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Procmail + Sendmail

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:37:33 -0200, Paulo Fragoso wrote:
> We've got one server without shell access, only POP3, FTP and HTTP
> protocol are permited. We're upgrading this machine to FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE
> and we're thinking use procmail instead mail.local.
>
> Are there any possible to use .procmailrc like .forward to exec any
> programa (like gcc) in this machine? To block .forward we're using SMRSH
> on sendmail, works fine.

	Any user can put anything they like in their .procmailrc, so
this is a problem.
	One solution I've come across is to patch 'procmail' to use
'smrsh' instead of /bin/sh when executing commands. I haven't tried
this yet, though, so I don't know how easy this is to do.

--
Andrew Arensburger, Systems guy		Center for Automation Research
arensb@cfar.umd.edu			University of Maryland