Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 12:18:50 +0000 ()
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@rock.lot.kiev.ua>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   NE2000 compat Ether in Dauphin Notebook

hi guys,

I have a Dauphin notebook (Cyrix 486, 6M RAM), and want to have
real OS on it (bundled Pen Windoze doesn't count ;-).
It has a internal Ethernet card, which docs claims to be built
around NS DP83905 chip, with TP connector.   The setup program
allows to set 16 or 64 K on-board memory; I use 16K.  The packet
sniffer supplied in the setup program works fine ;-), so I am sure
the card and wires are ok.

I have tried hard to make diskless boot working on it (I have
put debug printfs there, changed the probing code to the liking of
if_ed.c, etc.) - it still hangs.

Yesterday, I have successfully installed Novell Netware on it
using its own ODI driver;  apparently, when running packet driver
after loading LSL, the system hangs hard after several seconds
(needs a reset).

Does this sound like a familiar thing to someone?

thanks,
Dmitry.