Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 08:13:13 -0000
From:      Nigel Roles <ngr@symbionics.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: controller

I would second that. The Tekram 390U2W has the auto-sensing terminator
switching
so you can mix LVDS and SE on the same bus without the whole lot reverting
SE. This can be useful for internal cabling. This is not the same as auto
termination (deciding whether to connect terminators at the host adaptor)
which
all cards do.

In dual channel, Symbios has the SYM22910 which has the awesome SYM53C896 on
it.
However, there is no 50 pin connector, and no auto LVDS/SE switching.

The Adaptec controller suggested (...160) is an Ultra/160M controller, also
described ramdomly as Ultra3 by box shifters. This does Ultra 2 wide, but
transfers data on both edges so achieving 160MBps burst.

There is no need to buy this unless you have Quantum 10K Atlas IV drives,
the
only ones to support it so far.

Symbios also sell a SYM22915 with their Ultra-160/M chip (53C1010) on board.

I'd be interested to know which dual channel controller Tekram are doing.