Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 2002 05:39:11 -0500
From:      David LeCount <kenshi@linuxorbit.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp.linkup and linkdown

 >Shouldn't b this 'ifconfig gif0 up'?
 >and this 'ifconfig gif0 down'?

gif0 is the tunnel for IPv6 packets. It's not created by the system at
bootup and must be created before running tspc. tspc will bring the
interface up though. And I don't want programs trying to route to IPv6
destinations when the connection is down, so I destroy it. I could have
chosen to create gif0 in a boot script and simply downed it in
ppp.linkdown, but I've already chosen this method and it works basically
the same. Nevertheless, either way it doesn't solve why nothing in
either file is being executed.