Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:59:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, Drew Eckhardt <drew@PoohSticks.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Suboptimal mmap of devices on i86

:
:Oh yuck.  Please do rename the darn thing back at some point then.  Or if its
:only going to be in -current, don't bother.  No one expects to be able to use a
:4.x module in 5.x, so just change the function w/o the old name.
:
:--
:
:John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/

    I'd like to see this MFC'd to stable at some point and they should be
    the same patch.

    For anything in production, a rename is usually necessary when the
    API change is not backwards compatible.    Even though it's somewhat
    unsightly, it's worth the time it saves developers (especially developers
    working on code outside the source tree).

    When I redid the socket descriptor reference code I pulled the API
    change & rename trick, and Julian popped out of the woodwork a week
    later complaining of a kld module refusing to load.  I had missed
    a function.  The rename undoubtedly saved him hours of kernel crash
    debugging.

					-Matt