Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 14:20:34 +0600
From:      "Sergey N. Voronkov" <serg@tmn.ru>
To:        GB Clark II <gclarkii@geektech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange boot message - "no devsw (majdev=0 bootdev=0xa0400000)"

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 02:43:25AM -0500, GB Clark II wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just did a cvsup last night (6-4-01) and I've got no problems with a custom
> kernel.  My last upgrade before was on Feb 14th.  I performed a buildworld,
> buildkernel, installkernel, reboot, installworld, reboot and shazaam!  A new
> 4.3-Stable system.  The only thing I had to do was add a miibus device to my
> kernel config.

I have no problems booting too, but have found strange kernel message and
hope someone can determine what to do with it - just forget it or take some
steps to prevent myself from geting unbootable system after next upgrade.

[Hardware spec skipped]

> Maybe you both could post the custom configs that are causing the problems?

I'v moved my FreeBSD from one disk to another by hand (fdisk,
disklabel, dump etc.). So I can make some mistakes spliting the disk or
writing bootblocks. It maybe a bug or a feature of the new patched devsw
system too - then I'l post my kernel config to list.

I'l be very happy if someone can tell me is my bootdev kernel variable
looking good if I bootup my comp from ad0s3a? (bootdev=0xa0400000)

Bye,
Serg.