Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:48:59 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org>
To:        seb11@ciaoweb.it
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call for FreeBSD status reports

--ep0oHQY+/Gbo/zt0

On 2004-07-06 13:46 +0200, seb11@ciaoweb.it wrote:
>=20
>   At the moment I have two cd sets: FreeBSD 4.9 and 5.0. I found 5.0 quit=
e=20
> confortable but the main problem is my internet connection: just a 56k=20
> modem and not a quicker system like ADSL or similar.
>   The problem that arises is due to the live download and build of ports=
=20
> (about 7000 ports, as far as I know!).
>=20
>   I ask, please, hoping for the best:
>=20
>   1. could be 5.0 a good base to start to join a quite STABLE
>      configuration?

No.  If you want to stick with the newer branch of FreeBSD, then you
should get the latest released version, 5.2.1.  This version has many,
many bugs fixed that were present in 5.0.

FreeBSD 4.9, on the other hand, would be a good place to begin.  4.x
is the STABLE (it's a keyword) branch of FreeBSD, and 4.9 is fairly
recent (only 1 revision out of date).

Here is a link explaining -CURRENT vs. -STABLE:
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.=
html
=20
>   2. where I can get (order and buy) tarball ports on cd's and, in such
>      case, what should be the right order to get the appropriate versions,
>      according to the level of patching and evolution of the FreeBSD
>      version (non matter which, 5.0 or different ...) I'll be using?

Since I'm associated with Daemon News, I'll recommend our CD sets,
which can be obtained singly or as a subscription, where every
released CD set is sent to subscribers.  Here is our BSD Mall
product page for FreeBSD:

  http://www.bsdmall.com/freebsd1.html

If you want to stay up to date, subscribe to a CD set:

  http://www.bsdmall.com/cdsub.html

Greg
--=20
Gregory S. Sutter                     Madness takes its toll. =20
mailto:gsutter@zer0.org               Please have exact change.
http://zer0.org/~gsutter/=20

--ep0oHQY+/Gbo/zt0

--ep0oHQY+/Gbo/zt0--